Patienty Care Technician
Company: Cleveland Clinic
Posted on: May 13, 2022
- Attends to patient and family's immediate needs and problems by
acknowledging and providing required attention.
- Assists the patient with activities of daily living, including
dressing, bathing, and hygiene needs.
- Carries out nursing orders according to established policies
- Reports all pertinent information regarding patient's condition
to the appropriate nursing staff.
- Assists in providing patients with nutritional needs as per
physician order; assists patients with tray setup and feeding as
- Interacts with the Food and Nutrition Services to maintain an
adequate supply of nourishment for the patients.
- Provides patients with hygiene, nutritional needs, ambulation,
toileting, and linen changes.
- Provides patients with respect, dignity, and privacy at all
- Organizes and prioritizes workload by determining order of
importance of task to be performed and within agreed upon time
- Follows up with appropriate personnel.
- Attentive when receiving instructions and follows through work
with minimum guidance and supervision.
- Works cooperatively with other team members.
- Restocks necessary supplies on a daily basis and as
- Maintains orderliness and appearance of the unit by keeping
work area clean and tidy.
- Orders supplies from Central Supply to keep the par levels with
an acceptable range.
- Transports patients on stretchers and beds in accordance within
required safety guidelines.
- Documents care provided on the medical record as
- Interacts with the Environmental Department to insure an
adequate supply of clean linen or daily patient care.
- Collects and transports specimens as directed and in accordance
with hospital policy.
- Provides RN/LPN with accurate and timely intake/output data,
vital signs, blood glucose results and other data as assigned.
- Notes changes from prior measurement and communicates
- Responds to call lights within a maximum of FIVE minutes or
communicates inability to do so to assure the response target is
- Reports patient needs to RN/LPN immediately.
- If primary nurse is not available the PCT makes the Clinical
Shift Manager or Relief Charge Nurse aware. Demonstrates the
ability to obtain vital signs and reports results to RN/LPN in a
- Notes changes from prior measurement and communicates
- Treats all customers including other members of the healthcare
team with courtesy and respect.
- Assists in the removal of equipment (I.e. IV pumps, commodes,
PAS) in preparation for room cleaning.
- Other duties as assigned. Education:
- High School Diploma or GED required.
- Graduate of approved program for Nursing assistants or previous
hospital training preferred. Certifications:
- Certified Nursing Assistant (CNA) certification preferred.
- Basic Life Support (BLS) through American Heart Association
(AHA). Complexity of Work:
- All employees are expected to meet the standards of performance
outlined in the Organizational-Wide Competencies listed below as
applied to the position: World Class Service Orientation:
Demonstrates courteous, polite, friendly and cooperative behaviors
- Supports and participates in activities that promote customer
- Utilizes approved hospital scripts.
- Courteously answers the telephone utilizing approved script
(department, name and "How can I help you").
- Assists in answering call lights when on the nursing units
(includes ancillary and non-patient care personnel). Answers call
lights within 4 rings.
- Acknowledges patients/guests/others immediately upon entering
the department/work area.
- Communicates and follows the organizational chain of command
for notification of patient care/service issues, when appropriate.
(Calls are answered within 4 rings.)
- Attitude: Chooses to have a positive attitude every day.
- Customer waiting: Updates waiting patient/family per protocol.
(Scheduled visit every 10 minutes, unscheduled every 30
- Adaptability: Exhibits good communication and listening
- Speaks clearly, actively listens.
- Able to work with diverse populations (patient, staff,
physicians) under difficult and stressful situations.
- Supports the team approach.
- Committed to Customer Service standards.
- Encourages patients and family members to ask questions.
- Avoids jargon.
- Teamwork: Understands and supports the needs of individuals in
other departments, works as a team to achieve mutual goals. Offers
assistance and promptly responds to requests (patient, physician,
manager and others).
- Performs any other duties or responsibilities that may be
- Carries Spectralink phone at all times.
- Updates patient boards with numbers. (Appropriate personnel)
Attends 80% of all staff meetings.
- Participates in coordination/delivery of approved Facility
- Efficiency and Effectiveness: Offers suggestions for
departmental and/or hospital-wide performance/process improvement.
Intervenes to correct problems (patient and system) as they
- Notifies manager/director of actions and outcome.
- Participates in the performance/process improvement
- Completes required logs and quality controls as per
- Work Habits: Readily accepts work assignments in a positive
- Performs work that is accurate, neat and consistent.
- Documentation is legible.
- Safety: Keeps work area neat and maintains equipment in
accordance with health and safety codes.
- Uses Standard precautions in all patient contacts.
- Provides a safe environment for patients/family and visitors,
and reports safety issues and equipment failures
- Confidentiality: Sensitive information including, but not
limited to, patient records, charts, hospital documents and
employee information is kept confidential without exception,
according to HIPAA guidelines.
- Ensures that the rights of all patients are respected and
maintained by allowing for privacy, cultural diversity and dignity
in the provision of care.
- Demonstrates organizational skills in the form of
prioritization and time management.
- Essential Job Requirements: Policies/Procedures: Is aware of
and follows all hospital, corporate, regional, and departmental
policies and procedures.
- Appearance: Projects a professional image, follows the hospital
dress code policy and/or department requirements.
- Wears hospital ID badge at all times on duty.
- Attendance: Employee reports to work each regularly scheduled
- Does not take advantage of sick time.
- Punctuality: Clocks in by the scheduled start time of the shift
and is ready for work.
- Continues working until scheduled departure time. Leaves as
scheduled unless overtime is approved by supervisor.
- Managerial Responsibilities: Makes suggestions to reduce
- Ensures that personnel and supplies of the organization are
used in a cost effective manner.
- Identifies cost saving strategies for department/hospital.
- Submits accurate and timely hospital charges for
- Offers opinions and information that reflect positively on
Cleveland Clinic Florida.
- Will take the time to speak with an employee (privately) if
they observe or overhear that an employee is not being an
ambassador of the hospital.
- Understands how individual job performance affects department
and hospital growth.
- Identifies and communicates opportunities to improve service or
- Participates in hospital/departmental committees to improve
service and streamline organizational processes.
- Note: The above stated duties are intended to outline those
functions typically performed by individuals assigned to this
- This description of duties is not intended to be all inclusive
nor to limit the discretionary authority of supervisors to assign
other tasks of similar nature or level of responsibility. Work
- A minimum of six months experience in an acute care hospital
setting preferred. Physical Requirements:
- The position requires a considerate amount of physical work not
to exceed 50 pounds.
- Any workload exceeding 50 pounds will require assistance.
- The individual will be required to pull up or reposition
patients in bed, lift supplies, place equipment or supports, and
push beds throughout the hospital.
- The individual must be able to bend over to perform certain
duties such as check chest tube drainage, check urine output,
- The individual must be able to quickly maneuver throughout
halls, stairways and patient rooms in response to hospital
- Interpretation of environmental input requires visual and
- In the event there is a need to evacuate the building, heavy
lifting will be required to carry patients to safety.
- Mental Demands: Ability to work at a fast pace and to
prioritize multiple assignments/projects and respond to numerous
requests; ability to resolve conflicts among staff and to work
collaboratively with department director, physicians and other
members of the Healthcare team; ability to ensure operational
efficiency; ability to problem solve and make decisions; ability to
exercise self control and tolerate stress when dealing with
multiple requests and/or conflicting demands from multiple
- Special Demands: Essential Sensory requirement - ability to
visually assess patients and implement plan of care.
- Essential Technical/Motor Skill - finger dexterity and eye/hand
coordination are necessary when charting, using equipment, and
providing direct patient care. Personal Protective Equipment:
- Follows standard precautions using personal protective
equipment as required.Performs duties to promote patient comfort
and provides assistance to the nursing staff as a part of the
patient care team. Transports patients by wheelchair, bed or
stretcher to and from the department and nursing units under the
direct supervision of an RN. Functions as a certified Nurse
Assistant to promote patient comfort for all classification of
patients including adolescents; young adults; middle adults; and
the elderly. Assists nursing staff as directed. Conducts EKG and
phlebotomy responsibilities when directed.
Keywords: Cleveland Clinic, Fort Lauderdale , Patienty Care Technician, Professions , Weston, Florida
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!