Power Systems Engineering Intern - Summer 2022 (REMOTE)
Company: California ISO
Location: Fort Lauderdale
Posted on: June 24, 2022
The California ISO is currently taking general applications for
university or graduate students majoring in Electrical Engineering
or related fields for internship positions in the summer of
There are several groups inside the organization where you could
further develop and utilize your skill set in this area! The
selection process (with more details on the 2022 summer
assignments) will begin shortly.
The California Independent System Operator (ISO) manages the flow
of electricity across the high-voltage, long-distance power lines
that make up 80 percent of California's power grid. We safeguard
the economy and well-being of 30 million Californians by operating
the grid reliably 24/7.
As the impartial grid operator, the California ISO opens access to
the wholesale power market that is designed to diversify resources
and lower prices. It also grants equal access to 25,865
circuit-miles of power lines and reduces barriers to diverse
resources competing to bring power to customers.
The California ISO's function is often compared to that of air
traffic controllers. It would be grossly unfair for air traffic
controllers to represent one airline and profit from allowing that
company's planes to go through before others. In the same way, the
California ISO operates independently-managing the electron traffic
on a power grid we do not own-making sure electricity is safely
delivered to utilities and consumers on time and reliably.
Our purpose is to lead the way to tomorrow's energy network. Your
work as an intern can impact millions of people who depend on
electricity for their everyday lives.
- You will get "real world" experience to begin or further your
career pursuits in the energy industry. This is a paid intern
position for 10 -12 weeks during summer 2022.
- You get to work on interesting and challenging assignments that
will help grow your skill set.
- You will work in an extremely collaborative environment inside
our LEED certified Folsom, California campus.
- Opportunities to interact with the CEO and the Executive team
of the ISO
- Invitations to seminars on the latest energy industry topics
such as renewables, electric cars and micro grids.
- Potential field trips.
- Social activities with other interns such as barbecues and
- You get to work on our "green" LEED certified Folsom,
California campus with some of the brightest people in the
What You Will Be Doing
Past Assignments have included work such as:
- Participation in project implementation teams to ensure
successful implementation of key power systems software
- Learn about our new Energy Management System (EMS) software and
- Perform outage studies, application testing, tool development
and modeling updates.
- Create new tools and other automations to support outage
studies and improve efficiencies of processes.
- Use engineering models to identify market impacts and present
reports subject to industry, regulatory, and peer review
Level of Education and Discipline
- Currently in an Undergraduate, Master's degree (MS) or PhD
program in Electrical Engineering or related field. Degree program
with a Power systems focus strongly desired.
- Graduating December of 2022 or later.
Amount Of Experience
- Previous internships, research or work experience within
electric industry is desired.
- Research and or studies in energy industry highly desired.
Type Of Experience
- Proficient in Microsoft office suite.
- Good presentation, oral and written communication skills highly
- Must be able to work effectively in a team environment.
- Excellent analytical and problems solving skills required.
Additional Skills And Abilities
- Strong understanding of Power Systems concepts
- Familiarity running power flow studies within PSLF, PSSE,
PowerWorld, or MATLAB desired
All your information will be kept confidential according to EEO
Keywords: California ISO, Fort Lauderdale , Power Systems Engineering Intern - Summer 2022 (REMOTE), Other , Fort Lauderdale, Florida
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!