Company: City Of Oakland Park
Location: Fort Lauderdale
Posted on: May 15, 2022
PLANNING SUPERVISOR Grade (33): $68,298.29- $109,277.26/yr. Open
Until Filled POSITION: This is responsible managerial, advanced
professional and supervisory work of considerable difficulty
assisting higher-level management in assigned planning operations.
Position is responsible for advanced managerial and professional
work in the areas of planning and development for the City's
current and long-range planning goals, objectives and initiatives.
Employee will be responsible for supervision of planning staff,
including Senior Planner(s), Associate Planner(s), and
Administrative Assistant. Areas of responsibility include, but are
not limited to, comprehensive and neighborhood planning,
development review, conducting research and special studies,
interpreting the land development, and reviewing amendments to the
code for conformance with the comprehensive plan. Responsibilities
include managing and coordinating the activities of professional
and paraprofessional planning staff, providing technical advisement
on planning and growth management issues, coordination with other
departments and agencies involved in planning and growth
management, conducting surveys and compiling and analyzing data for
planning projects affecting zoning and land use planning. The
incumbent will act as the liaison to the various Boards and City
Commission on all current planning cases and zoning code
amendments. ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS: The list of duties and functions,
as outlined herein, is intended to be representative of the type of
tasks performed within this classification. They are not listed in
any order of importance. The omission of an essential function does
not preclude management from assigning duties not listed herein if
such functions are a logical assignment to the position.
- Manages and coordinates the day to day activities of the
division; facilitates both long range and current planning actions
related to compliance with the Land Development Code and
Comprehensive Plan goals, objectives, and policy.
- Supervises and reviews all work performed by Senior Planner(s),
Associate Planner(s) and Administrative Assistant(s).
- Manages the Development Review Committee process.
- Supervises subordinate employees and evaluates their job
- Assigns projects to planners, coordinates the review of
projects, establishes meeting agendas, and assists in resolving
technical issues and disputes.
- Prepares staff reports/transmittal items and support
documentation in a timely manner to the City Manager's office for
scheduled Commission meetings.
- Meets deadlines for advisory boards and Development Review
Committee meetings; writes detailed case analysis reports related
to all aspects of current and long-range planning.
- Researches and drafts new or revised land development codes;
reviews staff reports of planning staff prior to submission for
- Provides analysis and responses regarding the compatibility of
proposed development with and Development Codes and Comprehensive
- Participates in the maintenance and coordination of the current
planning agenda, long range planning and related administrative
needs through the use of a detailed activity report.
- Obtains, assembles, summarizes and analyzes data involved in
planning, such as land use, population, economic characteristics,
traffic, land development and other factors pertinent to a
comprehensive planning program, including the use of GIS software
to produce maps.
- Provides technical and professional advisement regarding
planning and development functions to professionals, management,
governing authorities and members of the public.
- Manages resident complaints regarding neighborhood traffic
- Provides technical recommendations on the development and
implementation of growth management policies and regulations.
- Evaluates land use and zoning proposals to insure compliance
with applicable City, State or Federal laws, codes, ordinances, and
related regulatory standards.
- Participates in the supervision of administrative support,
paraprofessional department staff, and interns by assigning tasks,
and providing technical reviews for work products.
- Evaluates environmental information and recommends mitigation
measures to reduce adverse impacts of development.
- Represents the City at meetings, conferences and workshops
concerning planning and growth management issues.
- Prepares and makes presentations to the City Commission.
- Participates in the development, maintenance and administration
of a comprehensive information resource database for planning and
growth management analysis purposes.
- Provides presentations to supervisors, boards, commissions,
civic groups and the general public on planning and growth
management issues as directed.
- Participates in various development review and pre-development
meetings to provide information and guidance applicable to the
City's community development goals, objectives and
- Maintains current knowledge of trends and developments in the
disciplines of urban and regional planning and zoning
administration for application to functions under charge.
- Manages and negotiates leases on city-owned property and obtain
City Commission review and approval of them through the entire
- The lead city planner for all Community Redevelopment Area
(CRA) planning issues including CRA amendments, zoning code
amendments and redevelopment project funding applications.
- Requires regular attendance to scheduled work shifts MINIMUM
- Bachelor's degree in Urban and Regional Planning, Public
Administration, or related field supplemented by 7 years
professional experience as a Planner in a municipal planning
- American Institute of Certified Planners (AICP)
- Valid Florida driver's license without any restrictions
affecting ability to perform the essential job duties. PREFERRED:
- Master's degree Submit official online City application to:
Keywords: City Of Oakland Park, Fort Lauderdale , Planning Supervisor, Other , Fort Lauderdale, Florida
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!