Company: Cleveland Clinic
Posted on: May 3, 2021
Job Details Provides quality individualized patient care in the
perioperative, intraoperative, and postoperative phases of the
patients' experience. Provides peer education, maintenance of the
sterile field, advocacy, efficient provision of resources,
maintenance of supply inventory, enforcement of standards and
integration and coordination of care across the surgical setting.
Follows guidelines for perioperative practices as established by
- Reviews daily assignment and ascertains surgeon-specific
preferences and anesthesia.
- Identifies and prioritizes individual patient care needs taking
into consideration age, physiological, cultural and physical
- Plans care based on contemplated procedure, standards of
practice, admission assessment and MD preferences.
- Assembles, checks and opens sterile packs, sutures, etc.
- Practices and assists others in maintaining aseptic technique
and electrical and environmental safety in department.
- Complies with required standards for patient positioning, skin
preparation, counting, side-site verification and other
departmental policies and procedures.
- Remains with the sterile set-up to assure maintenance of the
sterile field. Assists with draping; reports/corrects any break in
sterile technique as they occur.
- Prepares/edits surgeon's preference lists to assure quality
care of the surgical patient.
- Communicates pertinent information during procedure and during
personnel changes, including status of surgical procedure.
- Assures that equipment and supplies are utilized at appropriate
levels and returned to their proper location after use.
- Collects specimens as directed by surgeon, identifies origin of
each specimen to RN Circulator.
- Follows standard policy and procedure for specimen
- Completes Repair Worksheet on all malfunctioning equipment with
- Demonstrates prudence in par level supplies and
- Serves as a resource individual for a surgical
- Assists surgeon and assistants with retraction and suction as
- Assures that all biohazard material is handled and disposed of
properly utilizing universal precautions.
- Coordinates with RN Circulator to assure that required
equipment and supplies are available prior to patient entry.
- Maintains an orderly sterile field keeping accurate counts of
all sutures, sharps, soft goods and instrumentation according to
policy and procedure.
- Displays dexterity in the use of surgical instrumentation and
knowledge of surgical procedure.
- Assists RN Circulator to ensure proper room utilization through
decreased turnover time per CPT and scheduled procedural time
- Assures that all instrumentation is returned to Decontamination
with proper documentation count sheets.
- Graduate from an approved course in Surgical Technology or
related curriculum, current BLS certification.
- Completion of an accredited Surgical Technology Program
required upon hire.
- Certified Surgical Technician (CST) required within one year of
- Basic Life Support (BLS) through American Heart Association
(AHA) required upon hire.
Complexity of Work:
- All employees are expected to meet the standards of performance
outlined in the Organizational-Wide Competencies listed below as
applied to the position:
- World Class Service Orientation: Includes attitude, behavior,
interpersonal skill, and problem solving that enable an employee to
respond to internal and external customer needs and expectations in
a positive manner.
- Adaptability: Includes teamwork and flexibility needed to
fulfill job responsibilities including adapting to changes in work
environment and accepting supervisory feedback.
- Efficiency and Effectiveness: Includes quantity and quality of
desired work, as well as organization skills necessary to perform
- Essential Job Requirements: Includes adherence to all relevant
policies, procedures, and guidelines affecting the work
environment, including maintenance of required competencies and
- Supervisory Responsibilities (if applicable): Includes overall
accountability for assigned work group relative to operational
goals, personnel requirements, and budgetary constraints.
- Note: The above stated duties are intended to outline those
functions typically performed by individuals assigned to this
- This description of duties is not intended to be all-inclusive
or to limit the discretionary authority of supervisors to assign
other tasks of similar nature or level of responsibility.
- At least two years experience in a multi-disciplined OR in an
acute care hospital setting preferred.
- Workload is heavy and requires constant lifting, moving of
patients, equipment, instrument trays, and supplies.
- Able to lift items up to 50 pounds without assistance and
greater than 50 pounds with assistance.
- Stooping, pushing and pulling required when moving patients or
equipment into position for surgery.
- Ability to work at a fast pace and to prioritize multiple
assignments/projects and respond to numerous requests; ability to
resolve conflicts among staff and to work collaboratively with
department director, physicians and other members of the Healthcare
team; ability to ensure operational efficiency; ability to problem
solve and make decisions; ability to exercise self-control and
tolerate stress when dealing with multiple requests and/or
conflicting demands from multiple customers.
- Needs minimal sustained direction in assessing work load,
directing staff and carrying out departmental and professional
responsibilities; self-starting and self-motivating; working hours
may exceed eight (8) hours per day and is based on what is needed
to accomplish completion of the daily surgical schedule.
Personal Protective Equipment:
- Follows Standard Precautions using personal protective
equipment as required for procedures.
Keywords: Cleveland Clinic, Fort Lauderdale , Surgical Technician, Other , Weston, Florida
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!