Health Unit Coordinator- Nights, Med/Surg Oncology
Company: Cleveland Clinic
Posted on: May 3, 2021
Job Details Provides general secretarial and clerical duties and
other duties such as: places charts in proper order, stamps
documents including EMS log with date and name of patient,
gathering and organization of emergency patient data, preparation
of charts, collection of statistical data and completion of general
clerical duties. Completes physician order process and order entry.
Answers call lights and follow up with appropriate staff. Acts as
receptionist for assigned unit.
- Provides general secretarial and clerical duties and other
duties such as: placing charts in proper order, stamping documents
including EMS log with date and name of patient, gathering and
organization of emergency patient data, preparing charts,
collecting data and completing general clerical duties.
- Completes physician order process and order entry.
- Answers call lights and follow up with appropriate staff.
- Acts as receptionist for assigned unit.
- Ensures complete chart goes to Data Coordinator on
- Ensures proper closing of charts (e.g. charge sheets, Health
Screening Assessment, narrative notes, etc.)
- Acts as receptionist and answers telephone, relays messages,
places calls; interact with patients, families, visitors, staff and
other departments in a professional manner.
- Transcribes physician's orders accurately and alerts nurses to
new orders, single orders, and stat medications.
- Confirms that a Registered Nurse signs all orders.
- Receives and relays messages with accuracy from other
departments, e.g. Lab, X-ray, Admitting, etc.
- Confirms that lab requisitions for patients are completed and
sent to Lab.
- Answers patient call lights in timely manner and follows up
with appropriate nursing personnel with patient needs.
- Assesses and organizes workload, determines order of importance
or prioritize work.
- Enters work orders in computer for appropriate departments
regarding maintenance issues, biomed needs, IT related
- Keeps immediate work area Organizational and adequately stocked
with office supplies and forms; reorders supplies as
- Notifies Environmental Services of rooms to be cleaned.
- Participates in peer evaluation process.
- Ensures 100% compliance with patient ADT functions and computer
- Completes a unit activity/ time log for discharge, transfer and
- Completes Occurrence Report forms.
- Attends and participates in monthly departmental director's
- Transcribes all information communicated at the meetings.
- Assists in the implementation of formal and informal
- Contacts Patient Concierge or addresses patients/family issues
with appropriate department head and acts as a patient advocate to
ensure proper patient comfort by alerting nursing staff of
patients' needs (e.g., pain, anxiety, etc.).
- High School Diploma or GED required.
- Basic Life Support (BLS) through American Heart Association
Complexity of Work:
- All employees are expected to meet the standards of performance
outlined in the Organizational-Wide Competencies listed below as
applied to the position:
- World Class Service Orientation: Demonstrates courteous,
polite, friendly and cooperative behaviors toward others.
- Supports and participates in activities that promote customer
- Utilizes approved hospital scripts.
- Courteously answers the telephone utilizing approved script
(department, name and "How can I help you").
- Assists in answering call lights when on the nursing units
(includes ancillary and non-patient care personnel).
- Answers call lights within 4 rings. Acknowledges
patients/guests/others immediately upon entering the
- Communicates and follows the organizational chain of command
for notification of patient care/service issues, when appropriate.
(Calls are answered within 4 rings.)
- Attitude: Chooses to have a positive attitude every day.
- Customer waiting: Updates waiting Patient/family per protocol.
(Scheduled visit every 10 minutes, unscheduled every 30
- Adaptability: Exhibits good communication and listening skills.
Speaks clearly, actively listens.
- Able to work with diverse populations (patient, staff,
physicians) under difficult and stressful situations.
- Supports the team approach.
- Committed to Customer Service standards.
- Encourages patients and family members to ask questions.
- Avoids jargon.
- Teamwork: Understands and supports the needs of individuals in
other departments, works as a team to achieve mutual goals.
- Offers assistance and promptly responds to requests (patient,
physician, manager and others).
- Performs any other duties or responsibilities that may be
- Attends 90% of all staff meetings.
- Participates in coordination/delivery of approved Facility
- Efficiency and Effectiveness: Offers suggestions for
departmental and/or hospital-wide performance/process
- Intervenes to correct problems (patient and system) as they
- Notifies manager/director of actions and outcome.
- Participates in the performance/process improvement
- Completes required logs and quality controls as per
hospital/department requirements (refrigerator checks).
- Work Habits: Readily accepts work assignments in a positive
- Performs work that is accurate, neat and consistent.
- Documentation is legible.
- Safety: Keeps work area neat and maintains equipment in
accordance with health and safety codes.
- Uses Standard precautions in all patient contacts.
- Provides a safe environment for patients/family and visitors,
and reports safety issues and equipment failures
- Confidentiality: Sensitive information including, but not
limited to, patient records, charts, hospital documents and
employee information is kept confidential without exception,
according to HIPAA guidelines.
- Ensures that the rights of all patients are respected and
maintained by allowing for privacy, cultural diversity and dignity
in the provision of care.
- Demonstrates organizational skills in the form of
prioritization and time management.
- Essential Job Requirements: Policies/Procedures: Is aware of
and follows all hospital, corporate, regional, and departmental
policies and procedures.
- Appearance: Projects a professional image, follows the hospital
dress code policy and/or department requirements.
- Wears hospital ID badge at all times on duty.
- Attendance: Employee reports to work each regularly scheduled
- Does not take advantage of sick time. (To score a 3, employee
must have no absences for the year).
- Punctuality: Clocks in by the scheduled start time of the shift
and is ready for work.
- Continues working until scheduled departure time.
- Leaves as scheduled unless overtime is approved by
- Supervisory Responsibilities: Makes suggestions to reduce
waste. Ensures that personnel and supplies of the organization are
used in a cost effective manner.
- Identifies cost saving strategies for department/hospital.
- Offers opinions and information that reflect positively on
Cleveland Clinic Florida.
- Will take the time to speak with an employee (privately) if
they observe or overhear that an employee is not being an
ambassador of the hospital.
- Understands how individual job performance affects department
and hospital growth.
- Identifies and communicates opportunities to improve service or
- Participates in hospital/departmental committees to improve
service and streamline organizational processes.
- Note: The above stated duties are intended to outline those
functions typically performed by individuals assigned to this
- This description of duties is not intended to be all inclusive
nor to limit the discretionary authority of supervisors to assign
other tasks of similar nature or level of responsibility.
- Preferred: one year clerical duties.
- Requires frequent walking from department to department;
requires sitting at a workstation or desk; requires standing; work
may include occasional pushing and/or pulling, lifting, and
carrying objects weighing up to 50 lbs., such as files, documents
and computer printouts.
- Work requires finger dexterity and eye/hand coordination to
operate a computer keyboard at a moderate skill level.
- Mental Demands: Ability to work at a fast pace and prioritize
multiple assignments/projects and respond to numerous requests;
ability to resolve conflicts among staff and to work
collaboratively with department directors, physicians and other
members of the Healthcare team; ability to ensure operational
efficiency; ability to problem-solve and make decisions; ability to
exercise self-control and tolerate stress when dealing with
multiple requests and/or conflicting demands from multiple
- Special Demands: Needs minimal sustained direction in assessing
needs, directing staff and carrying out departmental and
- Self-starting and self-motivating; working hours may exceed
eight (8) hours per day and is based on what is needed to
accomplish work at hand.
Personal Protective Equipment:
- Follows Standard Precautions using personal protective
equipment as required for procedures.
Keywords: Cleveland Clinic, Fort Lauderdale , Health Unit Coordinator- Nights, Med/Surg Oncology, Other , Weston, Florida
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!