Under the supervision of the Chief Housekeeper, a Porter's duty
is to always answer the radio while on duty. The porter position is
an On Call Position. The porter is to listen for the radio from all
departments including the Navigation and the purser's station in a
case of emergency. Other duties of the Porter including assisting
other members of the department, as necessary.
In addition to the application process please copy and paste the
link below into a separate browser window for consideration.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities:
- Maintain safe and sanitary conditions at all times. All FDA,
Coast Guard and Maritime Security guidelines are to be followed at
- To report any maintenance issues found in their areas. This
should become routine and awareness second nature when walking
through the vessel
- To assist with the bringing on of luggage on the beginning of
the cruise and off the vessel at the end of the cruise. This is to
be done quickly and accurately
- Public areas and public restrooms are always to be kept
impeccably clean. This includes cleaning brass, furniture, windows,
and chandeliers, waxing the show lounge and paddlewheel floors, the
light fixtures in the public areas, dusting, and vacuuming
- Assist with passengers in wheelchairs if need be
- Always keep all the lockers stock with all supplies
- Porters are also part of the trash removal team and are to
respond when the request for assistance made
- To stay personally currently on cruise events and programs to
answer any passenger questions
- Assist in removal of room service equipment (dining room trays,
dishes, glasses, etc.) from the passenger areas to the appropriate
locations. These items should never be left in the passenger
corridors or elevator lobbies.
- Assist other crewmembers with their whenever directed or
whenever necessary to accomplish overall team goals of providing
exemplary service to passengers
- This position may be required to assist in other areas of the
Housekeeping department, such as Housekeeping Attendant and/or
- Required to attend all meeting scheduled by the Chief
Housekeeper or senior management
- Required to read and follow all memo/directives as issued by
- May be required to perform some housekeeping and cleaning
protocols as needed including, but not limited to, trash removal,
removal of room service equipment, attend meetings scheduled by the
Chief Housekeeper or other members of housekeeping management, use
of COVID-19 specific equipment, sanitizers and protocols in order
to effectively limit the occurrence and spread of
- Familiarity with proper sanitation procedures and U.S. Public
- Participate and ensure participation of all USCG mandated
drills and emergency procedures as directed
- Actively participates in embarking duties such as loading,
unloading, luggage carrying, etc., as needed
- Performs other duties if required since above stated describe
only a regular working day and may not be inclusive of every task
needed to achieve results
Requirements & Qualification
- HS Diploma or Equivalent Required
- Professional Certification(s) or License:
- Valid Transportation Worker Identification Credential (TWIC) -
if applicable, and/or ability to obtain and maintain
- Copy of DD214, if Veteran status
Skills & Abilities:
- Excellent verbal and written communications skills
- Ability to interact with individuals at all levels in a
pleasant and professional manner
- Logically and independently plan, organize and complete work
- Must maintain a neat, clean and professional appearance
- At least two to four years of experience required in a position
with similar duties and responsibilities
- Cruise industry experience preferred
- Must be at least 21 years of age.
- Submit to and pass alcohol and drug tests as mandated by the
USCG including but not limited to pre-employment, random,
reasonable suspicion and post-accident/incident testing.
- Additional requirements may be required depending on the
physical needs of the role
Our Values- RESPECT
At Hornblower Group and American Queen Steamboat Company, our
mission is to create amazing experiences - not only for our guests,
but our employees. Our company values (RESPECT) and operating
principles (Hornblower 12) allow us to live out our mission of
creating amazing experiences.
RESPECT stands for: Respect, Environment, Safety First,
Professionalism, Exceed, Communication and Teamwork. Our Operating
Principles, known as the Hornblower 12 demonstrate the ways we
promise to engage to live those values:
- We treat others - guests and fellow crew members alike - with
1. Respect, by fostering a diverse and inclusive environment.
- We are stewards of the 2. Environment through practicing
conservation, protection and education.
- We believe in 3. Safety First by creating and maintaining a
safe and secure workplace.
- We are Professional, and will demonstrate that in the following
o 3. We are on time - to start and stop - and we come
o 4. We make objective data- and logic-based decisions with
o 5. We prioritize by making difficult trade-offs and fast,
quality decisions. We follow the 80:100 rule, making decisions that
are at least 80% right, but 100% actionable.
- We Exceed expectations, embracing these principles:
o 6. As employees, we expect to win, but always prepare and
passionately compete like an underdog.
o 7. We strive to innovate and reinvent, always looking forward
and not stuck in the past.
- We value Communication, by following guiding principles:
o 8. We listen to each other - fellow crew members and guests -
and are responsive, vehemently following the 24-hour rule.
o 9. We are transparent and efficient in our processes and do
not entertain politics and bureaucracy.
- Teamwork helps drive us towards success, and together we embody
o 10. We function as a team, playing our role and trusting our
o 11. We work hard but have fun and don't take ourselves too
o 12. And most importantly, we take the time to recognize and
celebrate our successes together under the Hornblower family!
American Queen Steamboat Company is proud to be an Equal
Employment Opportunity employer. We prohibit discrimination and
or/harassment of any type, including but not limited to
discrimination and or harassment based upon race, religion,
religious creed, color, national origin, ancestry, citizenship,
sex, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, gender
expression, age, pregnancy or relation medical conditions,
childbirth, breastfeeding, parental status, veteran and/or military
statue, disability (physical or mental) medical condition, genetic
information or characteristics, political affiliation, domestic
violence survivor status, marital status, or other characteristics
prohibited by federal, state, or local law. Additionally, the
Company participates in the E-Verify program in certain