Company: Hard Rock
Location: Fort Lauderdale
Posted on: May 3, 2021
The Director of Engineering is responsible for the overall
operation of property facilities and maintenance, including
overseeing the building structure, all mechanical and electrical
equipment systems, and related maintenance in accordance with
standards and quality programs. While leading the engineering team,
this position is also responsible for recommending the department's
budget/capital expenditures and managing expenses.
- Create performance expectations, lead people, manage processes,
and hold people accountable for the agreed upon activities and
- Lead, direct, and manage all department operations. Maintain
regular presence throughout the department.
- Communicate with leaders regarding issues, risk, and liability
concerns, or other important business matters.
- Ensure the proper handling, maintenance, storage, and security
of all department equipment.
- Oversee the operation of all equipment, furnishings, systems,
and related building components of the property.
- Develop and execute all property preventive maintenance
programs and maintain effective programs for energy
- Ensure high operational up time for property equipment by
completing work orders in a timely manner.
- Conduct daily property walk-throughs to proactively assess the
safety and efficiency of facilities and maintenance operations;
physical structure; mechanical, electrical and HVAC systems; and
other related items.
- Oversee completion of all routine maintenance on public space,
function space, outlets, back of house areas, and external space
and verify completion of repairs, replacement, and renovations
throughout the property.
- Establish and maintain par levels for all tools and equipment
to allow for immediate correction of maintenance issues and reduce
- Maintain accurate records of repairs, preventive maintenance,
equipment tests, meter readings, and other activities.
- Participate in the budget and capital plan development. Monitor
cost reports for department on an ongoing basis.
- Oversee procedural aspects of the property's engineering and
- Regularly inspect property, including rooms, outlets, and
amenities, to ensure adherence to standards.
- Communicate regularly with General Manager and Executive
Committee regarding maintenance issues, new procedures, liability
concerns, cost efficiency systems, or other property business.
- Ensure physical property and services comply with regulations
regarding safety, security, and property quality standards.
- Establish and oversee property emergency and applicable safety
programs in accordance with required laws.
- Manage all property projects related to construction,
renovation, facility repair, decoration, and capital
- Ensure compliance with building and safety codes, and other
regulations. Work with local building code officials as
- Investigate safety issues by interviewing those involved in the
accident/incident to determine causes and recommend solutions.
- Conduct training for other operating departments on the safe
and efficient use of equipment and energy in the property.
- Review contracts and negotiate revisions, changes, and
additions with vendors, consultants, clients, suppliers, and
- Manage relationships with vendors; assist in negotiating
- Ensure quality and timeliness of work performed by contracted
- Create department budget to include resource quantities, costs,
- Prepare and execute business plans to ensure the maximization
of department performance.
- Create and develop goals and operational strategies for the
operations that are aligned with the Hard Rock brand. Communicate
the role that each employee has in their achievement and ensure
- Monitor actual expenses to determine variance and assess goal
accomplishments, and adjust strategies and forecasts
- Review weekly forecasts and planning of cost expenditures to
correspond to forecasted occupancy and costs.
- Protect and enhance the value of property assets through
appropriate programs and maintenance. Evaluate condition of
equipment and property and conduct analysis for capital expenditure
- Balance staffing levels and labor to achieve ideal
employee/guest engagement and cost ratio.
- Attract and select the best talent available from inside or
outside the organization.
- Develop and implement strategies to retain staff.
- Train, coach, and counsel managers, supervisors and employees
to achieve their career goals and maximize their potential.
- Monitor and evaluate staff performance and deliver recognition
- Promote a positive work environment for all employees and
ensure all employment related processes and documentation are in
- Conduct regular meetings with staff to communicate global
programs, implement new products and procedures, and discuss areas
of opportunities, special events, and other activities.
- Participate in and ensure Sound Checks are being conducted in
- Ensure an extraordinary experience and create loyalty to the
property and Hard Rock brand by exceeding expectations through
exceptional service and product quality.
- Resolve guest complaints and implement changes to prevent
- Monitor quality assurance program scores and guest feedback.
Take corrective action when necessary.
- Ensure all property policies and procedures are fully
implemented in department, including health and safety
- Present a professional image to employees, guests, clients,
owners, and investors.
- Serve as a member of the property's Executive Committee.
- Perform duties in accordance with and ensure compliance with
property management agreement and other requirements and
- Operate ethically to protect the Hard Rock brand. Ensure brand
and business initiatives are implemented.
- Maintain confidentiality of guest, employee, and company
- 8+ years experience in engineering and hospitality management.
Luxury hotel experience preferred.
- Degree/diploma in Engineering or related field, or an
equivalent combination of education and experience that provides
knowledge, skills, and ability sufficient to successfully perform
the duties of the position.
- Thorough knowledge of all matters relating to the proper
administration and operation of hospitality engineering
- Thorough knowledge of all types of mechanical equipment, such
as chillers, boilers, water treatment, and refrigeration; plumbing;
and electrical systems.
- Experience in office procedures, material ordering, and data
- Experience in construction and blueprint reading.
- Overall knowledge of occupational safety, building, and
- Experience in property openings, preferably both new build and
- High energy with effective and influential people skills.
Positive attitude and the desire to motivate others.
- Ability to prioritize and work on several projects
simultaneously should pose a challenge without being
- Ability to comprehend and use technical or professional
language, either written or spoken, to communicate complex
- Strong communication and listening skills and excellent
speaking, reading, and writing ability.
- Ability to effectively present information in one-on-one and
small group situations to customers, clients, and employees of the
- Ability to perform complex quantitative calculations or
- Ability to perform numerical operations using basic counting,
adding, subtracting, multiplying or dividing.
- Strong command of software applications, especially Microsoft
Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint) and hotel-specific platforms
(MICROS Opera, Sabre/SYNXIS, Delphi, SUN, etc.).
- Ability to effectively deal with internal and external
customers and staff, some of whom will require high levels of
patience, tact, and diplomacy.
- Fluency in English: additional languages preferred.
- Ability to move throughout the business (standing, walking,
kneeling, bending) for extended periods of time.
- Ability to sit for extended periods of time.
- Ability to make repeating movements of the arms, hands, and
- Ability to express or exchange ideas verbally and perceive
sound by ear.
- Ability to obtain impressions through the eyes.
- Manual dexterity, hand-eye coordination, and ability to work
with hand above shoulders.
- Ability to regularly move objects (lift, push, pull, balance,
carry) up to 50 pounds / 25 kilograms.
- Ability to occasionally move objects (lift, push, pull,
balance, carry) up to 100 pounds / 50 kilograms.
- Ability to turn or twist body parts in a circular motion.
- Ability to tolerate exposure to heat, cold, chemicals, and
- Ability to operate potentially hazardous equipment.
- Deep understanding of lifestyle hotels.
- Self-starter with an entrepreneurial spirit and strong
- Must meet legal requirements for any required licensing.
- Ability to work evenings, weekends, and holidays, as
Keywords: Hard Rock, Fort Lauderdale , Engineering Director, Other , Fort Lauderdale, Florida
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!