Diabetes Care & Education Specialist RD, CDE
Company: Holy Cross Hospital
Location: Fort Lauderdale
Posted on: November 21, 2020
Employment Type:Full timeShift:Day ShiftDescription:Highly
innovative and fast-paced program seeking high energy, organized,
flexible Diabetes Care & Education Specialist. The Diabetes Care &
Education Specialist would serve as an expert and resource for
patients and health care providers in the area of diabetes
self-management assessment, education, and follow-up. The main goal
for the Diabetes Care & Education Specialist is to equip the
patient with the knowledge and tools needed to manage his or her
disease. The individual in this role works collaboratively with
other colleagues, leadership, physicians, and hospital services to
assist in the development of an effective, patient-centered program
that promotes optimal patient outcomes. This position operates in
the outpatient setting and works directly with patients one on one,
in a classroom setting, and over the telephone.Essential Job
Functions Section (Section Weight 30%). The basic functions that
must be performed with or without reasonable accommodations
Assessment and Implementation. Plan, coordinate and facilitate
diabetes self-management education, training and support.
- Responsible for conducting thorough diabetes assessments and
collaboratively identifying appropriate education needs, goals and
interventions with patients.
- Responsible for addressing specific nutritional concerns as
outlined for each patient in their initial assessment. Concerns are
goal specific and would be included in the treatment plan for the
- Monitors and evaluates the effectiveness of these interventions
and goal achievement, revising as necessary.
- Identify best practices in diabetes self-management education,
training and support.
- Analyzes and evaluate a variety of program related data from
multiple sources for the purpose of ensuring high quality,
benchmark program initiatives and activities.
- Conduct diabetes education inventory and evaluation.
- Ensures that the cultural background of all patients are
respected and honored.
- Communicate effectively with colleagues, leadership,
physicians, and community members.
- Engages participants in learning through a sense of fun,
spontaneity, and a positive attitude.
- Is a thoughtful and attentive listener.
- Articulates personal passion for diabetes self-management
education, training and support, while making classes come alive
- Facilitates the development and submission of grant/micro-grant
requests to financially support individual and site-based
- Works with community organizations to provide diabetes
self-management education, training and support.
- Participates in meetings, workshops and seminars for the
purpose of conveying and/or gathering information required to
perform functions and./or representing the program to external
individuals and/or organizations
- Active member of the diabetes team and diabetes advisory
- Responsible for a basic understanding of health insurance
requirements and benefit structures including knowledge of diabetic
coverage issues.Education and Resources. Work directly with
community at large to provide diabetes self-management education,
training and support. (10%):
- Provide diabetes self-management education, training and
support to patients within the framework of an accredited Diabetes
Self-Management Education (DSME) Program.
- Provide patient education in both individual and group settings
on a wide range of diabetes self-management topics.
- Act as a diabetes resource for colleagues, patients, other
departments and the community.
- Seek out educational opportunities to stay current and
competent in all areas of work responsibilities and to meet
continuing professional educational requirements.
- Utilize appropriate resources to streamline work processes and
solve problems as they arise.
- Responsibly allocate limited resources in an effective and
- Develop and facilitate community health education programs and
exhibits on a variety of diabetes-related topics.
- Promotes diabetes education initiatives to constituents and
stakeholders through conferences, trainings, and publications.
- Create and update educational tools and re-usable content for
colleagues and community members.
- Solicits feedback on existing diabetes education programming
and shares this data with appropriate personnel.
- Promotes diabetes education and wellness activities.
- Promotes professional development on diabetes education.
- Educates colleagues and participants as to the links between
healthy eating, physical performance, overall wellness and
prevention of complications.
- Cultivate and develop key relationships within the diabetes
education communities in and around the Broward County area to
ensure effective collaboration, partnering and brokering of state
and local resources.
- Coordinates, creates the design, awareness, planning,
promoting, support, professional development and implementation of
diabetes education programs for the purpose of improving the health
of the community.Communication, Measurement and Evaluation of
program progress with Department Director and/or Vice President
- The effectiveness of interventions and specific patient-focused
outcomes are measured and evaluated. They are revised as
appropriate to met the unique needs of each patient.
- Assures accurate documentation of individualized plans of care
and patient progress.
- Communicate with referring providers to coordinate patient
- Effectively and appropriately communicates with patients,
family members, colleagues, and community members in a variety of
- Ability to research, plan, execute and document program
- Creates and implements program assessments and evaluation plans
to ensure that program objectives are met
- Develops processes to manage, manipulate, and analyze data from
- Researches and utilizes best practices in program evaluation
and measurement to report on the progress of the program in
achieving performance measures (both internally identified, those
outlined by the American Diabetes Association or American
Association of Diabetes Educators and/or as outlines in grants
- Regularly monitors performance of all performance and process
indicators, highlights trends, examines interactions in metrics,
critically assesses the data provided for gaps and inconsistencies
and identifies opportunities for improvements to leaders and
- Prepares a variety of materials (e.g., reports, memos, letters,
procedures, instructional and marketing pieces, assessments, etc.)
for the purpose of documenting activities, providing written
reference, and/or conveying information.
- Participates in community diabetes committees and/or diabetes
- Provides routine feedback, updates, and information to
Department Director and/or Vice President.Trinity Health's
Commitment to Diversity and InclusionTrinity Health employs about
133,000 colleagues at dozens of hospitals and hundreds of health
centers in 22 states. Because we serve diverse populations, our
colleagues are trained to recognize the cultural beliefs, values,
traditions, language preferences, and health practices of the
communities that we serve and to apply that knowledge to produce
positive health outcomes. We also recognize that each of us has a
different way of thinking and perceiving our world and that these
differences often lead to innovative solutions.Trinity Health's
dedication to diversity includes a unified workforce (through
training and education, recruitment, retention and development),
commitment and accountability, communication, community
partnerships, and supplier diversity. Associated topics:
biomedical, diabetes, family medicine, gastroenterology, health
medicine, medical, neurology, psychology, school of medicine,
Keywords: Holy Cross Hospital, Fort Lauderdale , Diabetes Care & Education Specialist RD, CDE, Other , Fort Lauderdale, Florida
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!