Returning users, please use the button below to sign-in:
Welcome to NSU! Nova Southeastern University offers competitive
salaries, a comprehensive benefits package including tuition
waiver, retirement plan, excellent medical and dental plans and
much more! Thank you for considering Nova Southeastern University
as your future place of employment. Nova Southeastern University is
an equal opportunity employer.
Director - Law Career Advising Apply Now Job Number: 496433
Work Type: Full Time with Full Benefits
Location: Fort Lauderdale-Davie, Florida
Categories: Academic & Career Advising / Support
About Us: We are excited that you are considering joining Nova
Nova Southeastern University (NSU) was founded in 1964, and is a
not-for-profit, independent university with a reputation for
academic excellence and innovation. Nova Southeastern University
offers competitive salaries, a comprehensive benefits package
including tuition waiver, retirement plan, excellent medical and
dental plans and much more. NSU cares about the health, welfare and
its students, faculty, staff, and campus visitors and is a
We appreciate your support in making NSU the preeminent place to
live, work, study and grow. Thank you for your interest in a career
with Nova Southeastern University.
NSU considers applicants for all positions without regard to
race, color, religion, creed, gender, national origin, age,
disability, marital or veteran status or any other legally
Job Title: Director - Law Career Advising
Location: Fort Lauderdale-Davie, Florida
Work Type: Full Time with Full Benefits
Job Category: Exempt
Hiring Range: $95,000.00
Pay Basis: Annually
Subject to Grant Funding?: No
Essential Job Functions: The first priority of all members of
the Office of Career and Professional Development team is to serve
the College of Law's clients, applicants, students, employers, and
alumni. Therefore, team members will not be limited by this job
description in an effort to assist our constituents, but will
perform whatever tasks are assigned by supervisor(s). Team members
will be readily available, visible, and accessible. Every effort
will be made to answer inquiries. If unable to answer the inquiry,
the team member will insure that the customer is assisted by
another member of the team or College of Law Staff.
1. Plans, directs, supervises, and coordinates work activities
of subordinates and staff, including hiring, coaching, evaluating,
2. Formulates strategic plans for the University and/or
3. Develops, organizes and prepares materials for students and
alumni to guide them through the job search process in their
profession, and/or refers them to available resources.
4. Identifies appropriate assessment tools and facilitates
assessments with students and alumni to identify their career
interests, preferred work environments, and how to make decisions
about career choices.
5. Develops workshops and sessions on career development topics
and soft-skill development.
6. Instructs staff in career development techniques, such as job
search and application strategies, resume writing, and interview
7. Collaborates with faculty and staff members involved in
helping students or graduates identify and pursue employment
8. Identifies and contacts potential legal and non-legal
employers, and builds relationships for the benefit of students and
9. Develops and maintains network of professional mentors,
including alumni, to provide marketing intelligence and career
development advice to students.
10. Builds relationships with employers and other institutions
to develop programs to assist in transitioning from student to
practitioner, as well as provide reciprocal services for services
11. Collaborates with campus departments/colleges to develop
mutually beneficial partnerships with industry recruiters.
12. Plans and promotes career and employment-related programs
and events, such as career planning presentations, licensing
workshops, work experience programs, job fairs, and career
13. Prepares reports of activities and tracking of prospective
14. Plans, manages, implements, and evaluates recruiting
programs to identify expansion opportunities for internships and
15. Identifies, develops, or evaluates communication strategies,
based on knowledge of university objectives, market
characteristics, and cost factors.
16. Represents institution and/or assigned program(s) at
community and campus events, in meetings with other institution
personnel, and during accreditation processes.
17. Promotes the university by participating in community,
state, and national events or meetings, and by developing
partnerships with industry and/or professional associations.
18. Plans, administers, and controls budgets, maintains
financial records, and produces financial reports.
19. Establishes departmental assessment of operational policies
and procedures; makes any necessary modifications, based on
analysis of operations, demographics, and other research
information, to continually improve services to students and
20. Develops and distributes periodic communications to students
and alumni regarding career development events and
21. Maintains or monitors departmental and/or program
22. Oversees the daily performance of assigned career
23. Maintains accurate and complete student records as required
by laws, policies, and administrative regulations.
Marginal Job Functions: Essential Job Functions (continued):
24. Maintains data integrity and confidentiality.
25. Provides accurate and complete disclosure of all required
employment data to accrediting agencies. Compiles statistics and
creates reports as required for the National Association for Law
Placement and other organizations as needed.
26. Tracks and investigates complaints relating to potential
employers' unethical or discriminatory hiring practices and
recommends appropriate actions when warranted.
27. Advises student organizations and assists with their efforts
to arrange special events, such as fundraisers, receptions,
professional networking opportunities, and/or symposiums.
28. Compiles and studies occupational, educational, and economic
information to assist students in determining and carrying out
career and educational objectives.
29. Ensures compliance with university policies and procedures;
county, state, federal, and international regulations; professional
association guidelines; and accreditation requirements.
30. Completes special projects as assigned.
31. Performs other duties as assigned or required.
Required Knowledge, Skills, & Abilities: Knowledge:
1. Administration and Management - General knowledge of business
and management principles involved in strategic planning, resource
allocation, budgeting, human resources modeling, leadership
technique, and/or coordination of people and resources.
2. Personnel and Human Resources - General knowledge of
principles and procedures for personnel recruitment, selection,
training, compensation and benefits, and personnel information
3. Psychology - Thorough knowledge of human behavior and
performance, individual differences in ability, personality, and
interests; learning and motivation; psychological research methods;
and the assessment and treatment of behavioral and affective
4. Therapy and Counseling - Thorough knowledge of principles,
methods, and procedures for diagnosis, treatment, and
rehabilitation of physical and mental dysfunctions, and for career
counseling and guidance.
5. English Language - Thorough knowledge of the structure and
content of the English language including the meaning and spelling
of words, rules of composition, and grammar.
6. Education and Training - General knowledge of principles and
methods for curriculum and training design, teaching and
instruction for individuals and groups, and the measurement of
7. Customer and Personal Service - Thorough knowledge of
principles and processes for providing customer and personal
services. This includes needs assessment, meeting quality standards
for services, and evaluation of user satisfaction.
1. Active Listening - Advanced skills in giving full attention
to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the
points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not
interrupting at inappropriate times.
2. Speaking - Advanced skills in talking to others to convey
3. Reading Comprehension - Advanced understanding of written
sentences and paragraphs in work-related documents.
4. Social Perceptiveness - Advanced skills in being aware of
others' reactions and understanding why they react as they do.
5. Critical Thinking - Advanced skills in using logic and
reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative
solutions, conclusions, or approaches to problems.
6. Writing - Advanced skills in communicating effectively in
writing as appropriate for the needs of the audience.
7. Judgment and Decision Making - Advanced skills in considering
the relative costs and benefits of potential actions to choose the
8. Active Learning - Proficient skills in understanding the
implications of new information for both current and future
problem-solving and decision-making.
9. Complex Problem Solving - Advanced skills in identifying
complex problems and reviewing related information to develop and
evaluate options and implement solutions.
10. Service Orientation - Advanced skills in actively looking
for ways to help people.
1. Deductive Reasoning - The ability to apply general rules to
specific problems to produce answers that make sense.
2. Problem Sensitivity - The ability to tell when something is
wrong or is likely to go wrong. It does not involve solving the
problem, only recognizing there is a problem.
3. Inductive Reasoning - The ability to combine pieces of
information to form general rules or conclusions (including finding
a relationship among seemingly unrelated events).
4. Information Ordering - The ability to arrange things or
actions in a certain order or pattern according to a specific rule
or set of rules (e.g., patterns of numbers, letters, words,
pictures, mathematical operations).
Required Certifications/Licensures: Required Knowledge, Skills
and Abilities (continued):
1. Speech Recognition - Must be able to identify and understand
the speech of another person.
2. Speech Clarity - Must be able to speak clearly so others can
Required Education: Juris Doctorate
Major (if required):
Required Experience: Ten (10) or more years' experience in
career counseling services or related experience.
Is this a safety sensitive position? No
Background Screening Required? No
Sensitivity Disclaimer: Nova Southeastern University is in full
compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) and does
not discriminate with regard to applicants or employees with
disabilities, and will make reasonable accommodation when
Advertised: 29 Jun 2020 Eastern Daylight Time