Chief Privacy Officer- 992271
Company: Nova Southeastern University
Location: Fort Lauderdale
Posted on: April 4, 2021
Returning users, please use the button below to sign-in: Welcome
to NSU! Nova Southeastern University offers competitive salaries, a
comprehensive benefits package including tuition waiver, retirement
plan, excellent medical and dental plans and much more! Thank you
for considering Nova Southeastern University as your future place
of employment. Nova Southeastern University is an equal opportunity
employer. Chief Privacy Officer- 992271 Apply Now Job Number:
Work Type: Full Time with Full Benefits
Location: Fort Lauderdale-Davie, Florida
Department: Compliance Officer
Categories: Legal & Compliance
About Us: We are excited that you are considering joining Nova
Nova Southeastern University (NSU) was founded in 1964, and is a
not-for-profit, independent university with a reputation for
academic excellence and innovation. Nova Southeastern University
offers competitive salaries, a comprehensive benefits package
including tuition waiver, retirement plan, excellent medical and
dental plans and much more. NSU cares about the health, welfare and
its students, faculty, staff, and campus visitors and is a
tobacco-free university. We appreciate your support in making NSU
the preeminent place to live, work, study and grow. Thank you for
your interest in a career with Nova Southeastern University. NSU
considers applicants for all positions without regard to race,
color, religion, creed, gender, national origin, age, disability,
marital or veteran status or any other legally protected status.
Job Title: Chief Privacy Officer Location: Fort Lauderdale-Davie,
Florida Work Type: Full Time with Full Benefits Job Category:
Exempt Hiring Range: Pay Basis: Annually Subject to Grant Funding?:
No Essential Job Functions: This position will not be responsible
for the university's HIPAA Security Program but will be expected to
coordinate with the Chief Information Security Officer.
1. Build, implement, coordinate, and manage a comprehensive privacy
program to meet applicable federal, state, and international laws,
regulations, and rules regarding privacy.
2. Draft, review, and maintain privacy policies for the
University's various websites and online services.
3. Serve as senior privacy resource for the university and work
with university leadership to identify and address emerging data
privacy issues and questions consistent with the university's
values, mission, and legal requirements.
4. Collaborate with faculty, OIIT, the HIPAA Liaisons for the NSU
Health Clinics, legal counsel, university research administration,
compliance, and internal audit.
5. Collaborate with the Chief Information Security Officer to
utilize reasonable efforts to ensure alignment between security and
privacy compliance programs including policies, practices,
investigations, and acts as a liaison to the information systems
6. Maintain current knowledge of applicable federal, state, and
international privacy laws as well as developments and high-profile
incidents at similar institutions.
7. Develop and manage privacy training materials and conduct
ongoing privacy training and awareness activities for applicable
faculty, researchers, staff, and students.
8. Collaborate with the university's Chief information Security
Officer to update and maintain the University's incident response
9. Conduct periodic assessment of operations for privacy
compliance; assist with investigations when appropriate
10. Provides documentation of the hybrid entity designation of all
covered Health Care Components ("HHCs") within the university.
11. Modifies and updates the NSU Health Care Centers privacy
policies, procedures, and forms, in consultation with the legal
counsel and HIPAA Liaisons, as may be required by changes in
federal or state law, or as needed to respond to NSU Health Care
Center(s) policy changes.
12. Develops and implements a HIPAA privacy monitoring program.
13. Coordinates with applicable HIPAA Liaisons and NSU Health Care
Centers to exercise reasonable efforts to ensure the development
and implementation of corrective action plans in response to
14. Oversees, directs, delivers, or ensures delivery of privacy
training and orientation to all applicable faculty, employees,
students and, and other appropriate third parties. Maintains
records of HIPAA education materials and attendance.
15. Serves as NSU's contact person responsible for receiving
alleged HIPAA privacy concerns and incidents and providing
information regarding the NSU Health Care Centers HIPAA privacy
practices as described in the NSU Notice of Privacy Practices.
16. Establish and administer a process for receiving, documenting,
tracking, and investigating alleged HIPAA privacy concerns and
17. Coordinates with legal counsel, the Office of Risk Management,
the NSU Health Care Centers, HIPAA Liaisons and others as necessary
to respond to alleged HIPAA privacy concerns and incidents.
18. Coordinates with the Office of Human Resources, the NSU Health
Care Centers and HIPAA Liaisons in disciplinary actions related to
failure of employee(s) to comply with the HIPAA privacy policies
and/or applicable regulations.
19. Cooperates with the US Office of Civil Rights, other legal
entities and University officers in any compliance reviews and
20. Serves as a liaison to the NSU Information Security Department
and the HIPAA Security Officer to assist with alignment of HIPAA
security and privacy practices.
21. Serves as a liaison to the NSU Institutional Review Board
(IRB), faculty, researchers, and students in offering assistance in
the development of appropriate HIPAA Research policies and
procedures and related questions and issues.
22. Organizes and oversees HIPAA privacy compliance-related
committees, and coordinating with HIPAA Liaisons, faculty,
employees, and students on HIPAA privacy issues, including
23. Prepare and present periodic and ad hoc reports on the current
status and future requirements of the HIPAA privacy compliance
24. Serves on committee(s) and projects in a leadership role for
the planning, design, and evaluation of data privacy.
25. Directs and supervises assigned personnel including job
descriptions, managing performance evaluations, scheduling
orientation and training.
26. Completes special projects as assigned.
27. Performs other duties as assigned or required. Marginal Job
Functions: Required Knowledge, Skills, & Abilities: 1. Experience
working with applicable federal and state privacy laws, and ideally
experience with their application in higher education, research,
2. Ability to define and implement a multi-year strategic program
and a corresponding set of strategic goals.
3. Demonstrated success in training and educating a range of
stakeholders on a comprehensive privacy or related plan.
4. Demonstrated ability to manage appropriate responses to
different incidents and investigations preferred.
5. Excellent project management skills; demonstrated ability to
prioritize work and meet deadlines in a fast-paced environment.
6. Ability to maintain confidentiality and handle highly sensitive
information with discretion.
7. Ability to develop and maintain recordkeeping systems and
8. Strong verbal and written communication skills and the ability
to present information effectively to groups.
9. Skill in examining, formulating policy, and developing and
implementing new strategies and procedures.
10. Strong analytical and critical thinking skills and the ability
to analyze, summarize, and effectively present data.
11. Strong interpersonal skills.
Job Requirements: Required Certifications/Licensures: CHPC
(Certified in Healthcare Privacy Compliance) required within the
first year of employment. Required Education: Bachelor's Degree
Major (if required): Required Experience: Five to ten years of
progressively responsible experience in privacy, compliance or
related areas in a large research university, academic medical
center, or other relevant complex organization. Preferred
Qualifications: 1. Juris Doctorate or master's degree in business
or related field.
2. CHPC (Certified in Healthcare Privacy Compliance).
Is this a safety sensitive position? No Background Screening
Required? Yes Pre-Employment Conditions: Sensitivity Disclaimer:
Nova Southeastern University is in full compliance with the
Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) and does not discriminate
with regard to applicants or employees with disabilities, and will
make reasonable accommodation when necessary. Advertised: 28 Jan
2021 Eastern Standard Time
Keywords: Nova Southeastern University, Fort Lauderdale , Chief Privacy Officer- 992271, Executive , Fort Lauderdale, Florida
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!